> I don't know why it is too much. Ever hear of
> Thalidomide? The charge
> given to the FDA is to ensure both the safety and the
> efficacy of drugs,
> and that sort of thing costs money. There is an argument
> that the drug
> companies cannot be trusted to test their own products, but
> even if you
> moved all testing to the government, it would still cost a
> lot of money.
> Regards,
> Kevin B. O'Brien

of course, but probably not as much, and if so, the profit could be used for
further research.  i did not suggest moving all R&D to the government.  the
government is also capable of waste, so there should be accountability and
transparency.
i recall thalidomide very well.  there are many times when big pharm has been
able to rush their new drugs through the FDA to put it out on the market for a
fast profit.  there are also many instances when big pharm was able to keep
dangerous drugs on the market when they knew there were extremely dangerous
side effects.
jon