On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:06 PM, John Williams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> People don't trust an emergent system, it is too abstract
> to accept that millions of people individually interacting can actually
> result
> in a more efficient solution to a problem than having a strong
> leader and authority figure in control.

I think that will come with time, but not quickly.  Medieval people didn't
trust feedback-based systems; now we worship them (democracy, Darwinism,
free markets, etc.).

There's a huge leap from one to the next.  Self-regulation seems impossible
when you believe the universe functions as a hierarchy.  Self-organization
seems impossible when you believe the universe is nothing more than feedback
loops.

The trouble with trusting a self-organizing system is that we don't have
very good mathematics to analyze and predict what they'll do.  We certainly
know that complex systems of the kind you describe tend to be chaotic, with
unpredictable attractor states.  I certainly wouldn't want trust our health
care system to avoid extrema and attractors that would be unfair to the
vulnerable among us.

Nick