Ronn! Blankenship said the following on 11/1/2008 12:24 AM:
> At 11:05 AM Friday 10/31/2008, John Williams wrote:
>> Lance A. Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>> Instead, we are faced with actors who will collude with each other to
>>> manipulate markets, subvert systems, and for the short term gain without
>>> regard to long-term consequences.

>> Definitely. Such actors exist in government, as well. In fact, they dominate
>> government.

> Which is a big reason why some (including some who do not get health
> insurance through their employers and cannot afford to purchase it
> themselves) are so leery of putting the government in charge (either
> directly or indirectly by holding the purse strings) of anything as
> important as medical care.

If not government, then what can be brought to bear to counteract the
tendency of human beings to be bad actors?

The health system we have today is broken in many ways.  I don't see how
removing more regulations from it will make it better.  That only gives
the existing bad actors more leeway to continue their activities.

If not the government, who upholds the social contract?

I believe everyone deserves healthcare, education, and other basic
services needed to live a productive, healthy life.  I don't believe
free markets will choose to provide those services to all people willingly.

If less government regulation is better, why do are national health
systems prevalent in many parts of the world?

--[Lance]
--
 GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
 CACert.org Assurer