On Sat, 1 Nov 2008, Bruce Bostwick wrote:

> Given that the first time I heard of Necco wafers was as competition .
> 22 rifle targets and only much later that they were in fact edible,
> I've always wondered if more of them have been shot or eaten .. :)
>
> On Nov 1, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Julia Thompson wrote:
>
>> The only invention in either of the neighborhoods I grew up in that
>> I was
>> aware of was the man down the street who had invented the machine that
>> stamped "Necco" onto Necco wafers.

You know, shooting them sounds like a better idea to me.  :)  I came to
the conclusion as a pre-teen that the only decent ones were the chocolate
ones, and I'd buy 1 or 2 rolls of those a year.  Gave that up about 10
years ago.

(They have the advantage of being at least vaguely chocolate, but not
melting easily.)

        Julia