Doug wrote:

>Other stuff that struck me as profound:

>"Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not
>just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring
>convictions. They understood that our power alone can not protect us,
>nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead they knew that out
>power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the
>justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities
>of humility and restraint."

>A concept lost on the Bush administration.

I agree with that and with what David said earlier.  But, I was also
interested in that it was balanced by other lines in the speech:

" We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its
defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror
and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger
and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you."

And a line just before a line David quoted earlier:

" To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame
their society's ills on the West - know that your people will judge you on
what you can build, not what you destroy."

The first of these lines had Cheney rising from his wheelchair to applaud.
One of the reasons that Obama has been elected, now enjoys 80% approval,
and has a real chance to lead through difficult times is that he appeals to
beliefs and convictions of many Americans in a manner that few Democrats
since 'Nam have been able to.  He has convinced those Americans that had
been nervous about the Democrats being soft that he has steel.  He called
out the various terrorist groups, such as Hammas, AQ, and Hezbollah, and
told them they can never beat the US.  But he did it in balance with lines
y'all have quoted.  That keeps his strong challenges as statements of
strength, not bravado.

Akin to this is his repeated call for personal responsibility.  Personally,
I think Jesse Jackson Sr. did him a favor (accidentally) when he commented
about castrating him when he heard him speak about the importance of black
fathers taking responsibility for their children when he spoke to a
predominantly black audience.  It’s the balance between personal and
community responsibility that appeals strongly to me.  As he says, he
rejects false either/or statements.

I suspect that, as he actually governs, he will disappoint a lot of people
with his decisions.  That's the nature of real decision making; there will
be people opposed to any specific move.  But, my hope is that he will do
this by requiring everyone to give up a sacred cow for the common good.
Indeed, I find it heartening that someone like Bill Bennett was musing that
he'll probably end up defending Obama to his listeners on more than one
occasion.  In the same stream of consciousness he said "he's a complex man"
and "I wish him well."

Finally, I'd go back to the speech that got him national prominence for a
core belief that can be seen as foundational to his governing:

"There is no Red America. There is no Blue America. There is the United
States of America."  I see Americans as hoping that he will truly govern
from the heart of the US.

Dan M.