On 10/02/2009, at 9:50 PM, Alberto Monteiro wrote:
> There were campaings to collect clothes, water, food, etc - and
> all the things that were donated were either stolen or incinerated,
> as the problem was not that they didn't have them, but that these
> goods couldn't get there - because the _roads_ collapsed.\

They're specifically saying "We don't want stuff. If you want to help,
give money to the Red Cross, offer accomodation to the Department of
Human Services, or register as a blood donor." They need the money to
rebuild, but they want to spend it locally, not spend money moving
stuff around.

> I think the situation in Australia is the same. Those people lost
> their homes, but they can pull themselves out of ruin after the
> crisis.

With help.

> During the crisis, the best thing outsiders can do is try to
> keep their roads free, and help remove them from the disaster area.

Oh, they removed themselves. It's stopping them going back in that's
the problem.

Charlie.