Testing without "Re:"

________________________________
From: Rceeberger <rceeber...@comcast.net>
To: Killer Bs (David Brin et al)  Discussion <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:25:30 PM
Subject: RE: On the Housing Market

On 2/24/2009 11:22:40 PM, Dan M (dsummersmi...@comcast.net) wrote:
> > Thanks John!
> > Those were pretty much the kinds of arguments I was seeing in 2006-2007
> > that
> > made me anticipate the bubble bursting.
> > Do you see the correction lasting 12 - 18 months or perhaps longer?

> won't argue with the basic premise, because I saw it too...especially for
> the coasts, NV, etc,

Sure, those areas were what tipped me off that something was up, though to be
honest, I anticipated the bubble bursting only in the highly priced areas with
the rest of the country riding it out mostly unmolested. I saw the loan
problems as being a parallel situation and never expected such a dramatic
implosion.

> but I have found that it is more expensive to live in a
> 1350 sq. foot apartment that's
> not as nice as my house than it would be if I
> bought my old 2950 sq. foot house at the price I sold it, paid 20% down,
> and
> lost the interest on the down payment money.  This figures in all the
> costs
> of maintenance, the but not the 400 sq. foot of storage for furniture
> and
> books and stuff that we are storing until we move to wherever Teri gets a
> call.

Down on the far south side of town, also on the pricey side of real estate,
1000 sq ft runs $800 - $1000 depending on how nice the appointments are.  Of
course there is a price level above and one below, depending on ones income
bracket.

> On the whole, up on the north side of Houston,
> it's cheaper per sq. ft. per
> year to own than to rent.  I think that's
> very unusual for the US, so I
> think Houston is just below the live because of expensive downtown
> rentals....if we weren't hoping to leave soon, it wouldn't make sense to
> rent.

Right now houses in Clear Lake are quite inexpensive. Prices are way down from
2005 levels. 10 - 20 percent in many cases. When I was first recognizing the
bubble, I noticed a lot of billboards advertizing homes in the 400-500K range
and I wondered who in the hell were buying these homes. I still have no idea.

For John, one of the better real estate sites I visit is HAR.com

xponent
Da Moneez Maru
rob