What I am talking about is this: I've been going to a national chain: Barnes
and Nobel's for over a decade.  The amount of shelf space devoted to
Sci-Fi/Fantasy has been constant during that time.  As time went on, there
has been less shelf space available for standard sci-fi and fantasy, and
more for TV, movie and game based serialization.  You know, the books that
make you appreciate what a good writer Kevin Anderson really is. :-)

We've recently had a Border's books open and it has similar ratios.  When
big bookstores like these change (they've driven Walden's Books out of
business) it's probably not just the local store.

> Also, there is more speculative fiction slipping across the aisles into
> other categories. There have been a number of books added to my sci-fi
> wishlist recently that are categorized in the "Literature" areas of most
> bookstores, due to both the "high brow" prominence of some authors
> toeing into the waters and what appears to be an increasing tolerance by
> the literary elites for sci-fi/speculative themes and hooks.

I guess.  I do know that the books that are off the radar are the
Evangelical Christian books that are the best selling books without
appearing at all on the NY Times bestsellers list, because they are sold in
stores that the NY Times doesn't look at. As much as I dislike the "Left
Behind" series, they, after the Potter Series, were the best selling book
series of the last decade...just off the radar.

> Certainly the "graphic novel" is a different medium for literature than
> the traditional novel, but "graphic novels" fit well within my
> definition of literature. Certainly semantics could be argued for days,
> but I think that graphic novels do trend closer to literature than, say,
> art or film.

Film, definitely.  But, I'd argue that graphic novels combine literature and
art. Good art can be part of storytelling. For example, "Guernica" by
Picasso certainly tells a story.  I see graphic novels, at their best, as a
new art form on the border between literature and painting.  Which has real
potential, since, unlike pure art, hasn't been explored to death over the
last few centuries.

Dan M.