On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Dan M<dsummersmi...@comcast.net> wrote:

> How did you get > 1.2 trillion for Medicare and Medicaid?

I meant to write that Medicare and Medicaid _and other
government-related health care spending_ make up more than half. The
biggest additional component is the tax subsidy the government
provides to employer-provided health plan premiums. But the
governments have their hands so deeply and pervasively into health
care spending that it is hard to keep track of all the sources. Here
are some others:

- SCHIP
- health care plans for state and federal govt employees
- other govt subsidized (not 100% govt paid) health care plans
- state govt mandated services that many consumers would have not purchased

I haven't added up the figure myself, but here is the reference that
first alerted me to the situation:

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba586
> "Government health programs (principally Medicare and Medicaid) and tax
> subsidies accounted for more than half ($1.3 trillion) of total health
> expenditures in 2006."

But rather than debating which items to allocate where, I think it is
more interesting and relevant to look at out-of-pocket health care
expenses paid by consumers, since this is the figure that is most
relevant when determining determining marginal consumer behavior.

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, "National Health
Expenditures by Type of Service and Source of Funds: Calendar Years
2005-1960," Department of Health and Human Services, 2006.
http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalHealthExpendData/downloads/nhe2005.zip.
> In 1960, consumers paid about 47 percent of overall health care costs
> out of pocket.
>
> The proportion had fallen by almost half to 23 percent by 1980.
>
> In 2004, consumers paid only 13 cents out of their own pockets every
> time they spent a dollar on health care.

C.L. Peterson and R. Burton, “U.S. Health Care Spending: Comparison
with Other OECD Countries,” (Washington DC: Congressional Research
Service, 2007).
> While 13 cents of every dollar is paid out-of-pocket by US patients, the
> OECD average is 20 cents.

So only 13% of medical expenditures are out-of-pocket in the US. Lower
even than the average country in the OECD survey. This is far from a
market system following the usual laws of supply and demand. It is
also interesting that the out of pocket percentage has fallen from 47%
in 1960 to 13% today, while health care spending has exploded over the
same period.

Arnold Kling calls the low out-of-pocket expense "insulation":

http://www.cato-unbound.org/2007/01/08/arnold-kling/insulation-vs-insurance/