http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2009/07/was_moores_law.php

It is quite a long article, but worth the time to read, I think. It
does not have an abstract, but here is a partial summary from near the
end:

"The first thing to notice is that all these examples demonstrate the
effects of scaling down, or working with the small. In this microcosmic
realm energy is not very important. We don't see exponential improvement
in efforts to scale up, to keep getting bigger, skyscrapers and space
stations. Airplanes aren't getting bigger, flying faster, and more
fuel efficient at an exponential rate. Gordon Moore jokes that if the
technology of air travel experienced the same kind of progress as
Intel chips, a modern day commercial aircraft would cost $500, circle
the earth in 20 minutes, and only use five gallons of fuel for the
trip. However, the plane would only be the size of a shoebox! We don't
see a Moore's Law-type of progress at work while scaling up because
energy needs scale up just as fast, and energy is a major limited
constraint, unlike information. So our entire new economy is built
around technologies that scale down well -- photons, electrons, bits,
pixels, frequencies, and genes. As these inventions miniaturize, they
reach closer to bare atoms, raw bits, and the essence of matter and
information. And so the fixed and inevitable path of their progress
derives from this elemental essence.

The second thing to notice about this set of examples is the narrow
range of slopes, or doubling time (in months). The particular power
being optimized in these technologies is doubling between 8 and 30
months. Everyone of them is getting twice as better every year or
two no matter the technology. What's up with that? Engineer Mark
Kryder's explanation is that this "twice as better every two years"
is an artifact of corporate structure where most of these inventions
happen. It just takes 1-2 years of calendar time to conceive, design,
prototype, test, manufacture and market a new improvement, and while
a 5- or 10-fold increase is very difficult to achieve, almost any
engineer can deliver a factor of two. Voila! Twice as better every two
years. Engineers unleashed equals Moore's Law.

But, as mentioned earlier, we see engineers unleashed in other
departments of the technium without the appearance of exponential
growth. And in fact not every aspect of semiconductor extrapolation
resolves into a handy "law." Moore recalls that in a 1975 speech
he forecasted the expected growth of other attributes of silicon
chips "just to demonstrate how ridiculous it is to extrapolate
exponentials." Extrapolating the maximum size of the wafer of silicon
used to grow the chips (which was increasing as fast of the number of
components) he calculated would yield a nearly 2-meter (6-foot) diameter
crystal by 2000, which just seemed unlikely. That did not happen; they
reached 300 mm (1 foot)."