On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM, David Hobby<hob...@newpaltz.edu> wrote:
> How on earth is
> the average consumer going to check that their policy is
> NOT full of loopholes?

First, I'll point that I know of no system to ensure that there are
not loopholes or other problems with a product or service. The
government cannot magically eliminate the problems. A few (or even a
bunch of) government technocrats are not able to write regulations
that cover all possibilities for all people (or even the most
important for most people) without leaving loopholes in the
regulations that will cause all sorts of unforeseen problems.

As for how a consumer can decide what product or service is best for
them, I can think of several non-government possibilites:

1) Reputation / brand-name

2) Word of mouth: friends, relatives, email-lists :-)

3) Careful research

4) Consumer magazines or websites

If you think a government solution is important, why not make it
non-coercive? Have a government-funded version of _Consumer Reports_
for every product or service that you think needs it. Consumers could
access the ratings and reviews from a government-run website, with an
option to get printed material for those who have no internet access
or nearby library with internet access.

> Could you PRODUCE a sample of a policy where it WOULD
> be easy for the average consumer to check what's covered?

Probably, but I doubt I could do that AND produce a good business-plan
based on it. That does not mean that it cannot be done. There are
plenty of people out there more knowledgeable about both healthcare
and business than I am.