>I do agree that there is little experimentation going on right now in
>government.  One of the best reasons for getting humanity out into
>space is to allow that experimentation to begin again.

One thing to remember about experimentation:  99.99% of experiments fail;
they do not achieve the goals they set out to achieve.  In physics,
theorists have come up with tens if not hundreds of thousands of wrong
theories.  Shelly Glashow, who I mentioned, said he came up with 5 new
theories per day.  Only one of his really paid off...and it paid off big.
Most experiments in physics don’t find the new and exciting thing they are
looking for; they just find that the 2 sigma signal they spent 2 years
getting more data on disappear.

Economic studies have shown that, for average entrepreneurs, the business
ends up failing and costing money. We are fortunate that we have these
folks, because every once in a while they come up with something that
_really_ benefits everyone.  But, even averaging the winners in, the
average person taking a risk on a new business loses money.

Finally, we do have experimentation in government.  California and Texas
have very different governments; and very different sets of problems.
California is wining the race down to failure, it seems.....because Texas
doesn't have much of a housing problem and is not about to go bankrupt.

You may argue that these are minimalistic changes; and they are.  But big
changes work better in fiction than in fact.  The American Republic stands
almost uniquely as a radically new form of government that worked.  (It’s
not the only working form of representative government, of course, but the
other representative governments changed to something close to 1 man 1 vote
after the US was shown to survive the Civil War.)

Dan M.