Deborah Harrell wrote:

>>> "A new report from the Danish Department of Environment, Food and
>>> Rural Affairs (DEFRA), highlights the critical risks facing toddlers
>>> from gender bending chemicals in everyday products. Chemicals like
>>> phthalates (found in PVC and fragrances),
>
>> In fact, phthalates are found in PET, not PVC. PVC is
>> polyvinylchlorine, the polymer of CH2=CHCl, PET is
>> polyethyleneterephthalate, the copolymer of terephthalic
>> acid and ethyleneglycol (with maybe some i/y changed - in
>> Portuguese, there's no such distinction).
>
> Yes, the correct chemical is listed in the other article.  Although
> IIRC, PVC production is linked to cancer of some sort, and that was
> suspected in the 50s by industry doctors (Dow? Monsanto?  I can't
> remember what I posted exactly on that several years ago); it was
> not made public for a number of years.

I hate those AFTs. Phthalates are not Terephthalates; and phthalates
are used in addition to PVC (that's what "found in" means). So, the
original text was correct, and my English skills deficient :-(

But if PVC is carcinogen than we could suffer the same doom
the lead-piped romans suffered...

>>> "...Fewer boys are being born.
>
>> That's great news! The world needs less boys and more girls.
>> Excess boys cause wars.
>
> <wry> Nevertheless, it might be a problem if we wind up with a
> passle of hermaprodites (who are usually sterile)...Could make an
> interesting SF story, however.

Probably society would adapt to make female-female reproduction
possible. We would end up in a Lesbian World, not much unlike
Brin's Stratos.

>> I think it was established that benzene is carninogen. But I am
>> not aware that phthalates, just because they are aromatic,
>> are harmful. In fact, a few aminoacids are aromatic.
>
> ? So you don't find research regarding various petroleum compounds
> legitimate?  We are well aware in the medical field of multiple
> adverse effects of various organic - in the sense of
> petroleum/industry-related - chemicals on healthe.

What? Nothing that the oil industry produces is harmful! :-P

> And no, I who at
> one point could fill an entire blackboard with the Krebs cycle and
> multiple connecting metabolic pathways including peptide synthesis,
> had _no idea_ that some amino acids (not to mention hormones etc.)
> were aromatic...  <hey, really!!!>

Sometimes we can learn just by having fun editing Chemboxes
in Wikipedia :-)

Alberto Monteiro aka albmont