> with a cork-screw and tugged out of the bottle. (Incidentally, is
> there any reason cork is used in wine bottles other than tradition?
> why not a conventional bottle-cap? Is it just wine connoisseur
> stubborness, "I'd never drink wine with a bottle cap!")

You're correct. While there is small selection of wine which requires a
less than 100% airtight cork, most wines can simply be capped with
ordinary bottle caps. While these cheap bottle caps outperform even costly
corks (expect more than 0.50 EUR for a good quality cork!), they were, in
the past, only found on cheap wines.

So called "glass corks" are an alternative for the wine connoisseur. The
manufacturer of these "glass corks" also offers "plastic corks"
(identical, except made of plastic), but hasn't yet sold any of these
cheaper variants. It's all just "perceived quality". Especially if you
happen to know that the "glass corks" are only airtight because of a
*plastic* seal.

> I would think the first applications, if it is as good as they say,
> are for building materials. Coating stone, brick, wood, etc. But even
> for that, I would not want to be a guinea pig. What happens after
> years of weathering, expansion/contraction, etc?

The glass coat is said to be flexible. However, I'd be wary of anything
which could emit particles.

OTOH, plastic spray has been around for decades. After the solvent has
evaporated, it's also chemically neutral. Yet I've still to see any
"hygiene maniac" who covered everything with plastic.

Best regards, Klaus