Hey all,

Thanks to those who from the lists who sponsored me and my colleagues for the
Melbourne Summer Cycle - we were riding to raise money to support those living
with with MS and supporting research into MS. Today's ride was very busy, and I
was a little concerned about the distance - more on that in a bit. The
sponsorship has been fantastic - personally I've been pledged $340, my team of
4 raised $1680, and the event as a whole has raised over half-a-million bucks
for the cause. So thank you all for your generosity.

So to the event itself - it was approximately a 40km (25 mile) ride around the
inner suburbs and CBD of Melbourne. There were THOUSANDS of people out on the
road, most of whom behaved well and followed the road rules. As always there
were a number who don't know what "single file", "keep left" and "obey the road
rules" are, but I saw no serious crashes and everyone seemed to be having a lot
of fun. You can see my GPS track here as proof of the ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25175064

So, on to why I was a little concerned about a mere 40km - yesterday I did
another fundraising ride to help out the regions so devastated by the bushfires
of Black Saturday, 7th February 2009. As with last year's ride which was in
May, we started in the town of Marysville, which was to all intents and
purposes wiped off the map last year. To get a scale for it, here's the town
before the fires http://tinyurl.com/yf66b86 and after
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200902/r339008_1539848.jpg , and this was only one
of the towns destroyed. The Marysville-Lake Mountain Challenge does a tour of
the region, culminating in (an optional...) climb of Lake Mountain, which is
one of the steepest climbs in the state - 3.5km of 10-11% gradient at the
start, and pretty solid 4-6% the rest of the way. So I had 160km of riding
under my belt from Saturday (a bit over 7 hours in the saddle) and was rightly
concerned that I was going to be very very sore for today. But I actually
pulled up pretty well and because I was escorting friends who are considerably
slower than I and we were in a lot of stop-start traffic most of the ride, I
didn't have to work too hard today. Here's Saturday's GPS track for
comparison... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25072020

Now I have to concentrate on my final preparation for the 3 Peaks Challenge in
March - 230km with an awful lot of climbing...

Thanks again to all who sponsored me.

Charlie.