Nick Arnett wrote:

> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Doug Pensinger <brig...@zo.com
> <mailto:brig...@zo.com>> wrote:
>

>     If anything good is to come out of this disaster, its that we'll be
>     taking a closer look at offshore drilling, and that nobody will even
>     be suggesting that we rape the California coast for a few buckets of
>     oil.
>

> I've seen people seriously speculating that anti-drilling people,
> perhaps directed by the White House, sabotaged the platform, to cause
> the spill, so that drilling would slow down or stop.  There is no end to
> the conspiracy.

In an era where the Big Lie, "Teach the Controversy", and "balanced
reporting" are routine factors in the media and public discourse and we
have people like Limbaugh and Beck trumpeting conspiracy theories
constantly, I am 100% not surprised to hear people seriously considering
a White House conspiracy to blow up an oil rig.

> On a more rational note, DB commented that every well should have a
> deadman switch, so to speak - a device that shuts off the flow if it
> doesn't continuously receive a signal.  Maybe I'm naive, but it seems to
> me that something like that would be in place if it were practical.
> Anybody know?  Why not an automatic shut-off valve?  Is it perhaps that
> some oil is under so much pressure that once it starts flowing, there's
> no stopping it as a practical matter?

I thought such a device was installed and we are now learning that it
was done poorly and/or improperly?  Charges are currently flying over
that very issue, no?

--[Lance]

--
 GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
 CACert.org Assurer