> This would be great internationally as well,
> not just in the US.  If you want a bit of
> (free) adivce on websites, its what I do for
> a living for my sins.
> My Facebook and twitter profile is alexgogan
> Good luck with the project love the idea!

Thanks Alex I'll look you up.  I pop up on FB as Jon Mann on Dr. Brin's page.
My e-mail address is net_democr...@yahoo.com

The concept of the "electronic village" is found in SF, especially if you've
read "Earth".  It's evolving on the internet as weblogs, etc.  The Internet
enables discussions to be held online and provides a way for the people to
gather together, allowing everyone speak their mind, discuss an issue, make a
decision, and vote to have it carried out. It is a means to implement direct
participatory democracy, as opposed to representative government.

Town halls can no longer work as they did in ancient times.  They are a
function of the size of the group, which places limits on speaking time.
Within the decision making process some people talk more than others.

Electronic forums are the ideal venue for brainstorming solutions for social
issues, as you can take time to edit your comments.  It also affords more
people an opportunity to be less passive and have a voice.  Moderated sites
work best to stay on topic and maintain civilized discourse.