>No question, either extreme is bad.  But how to manage the volatility is
the billion -
>or is that trillion? - dollar question.

There are several things to consider here.  First is the obvious.  We
require real truth in selling, and for the sellers to know what they are
selling.  Along with this we have hard reserve requirements, like we had for
decades (with a kinda exception in Houston in the mid-80s that fueled the
S&L crisis. All financial institutions can be leveraged no more than 10-13
to 1.

Then, we need to recall that this is the first gigantic, nation wide housing
bubble we've seen in 150 years.  There are several causes for it.  First,
the balance of trade deficit, kept by foreign governments and other
investors as cash meant there was cash looking for a place to roost. The
inherent trust in the US dollar helped fuel this.  So did the lack of the US
actually producing much of anything.  The US is, by far, the most flexible
economy, so it handles disruptive innovations better than any other economy
in the world.  The last significant one was the mass use of the PC, which
Japan missed out on when they spent tens, maybe hundreds of billions on
worthless "fifth generation" computers in the '80s.  This lead to their lost
decades.

But, the internet bubble of the late '90s showed that the 'net didn't have
earth shattering profitable changes inherent in it.  It allowed consultants
like me to get drawings and email results, had some nice multi-billion
dollar companies, but didn't change the economy the way fast cheap computers
did.  For example, the trillion dollars of wealth created by geosteering
would have existed without the internet, but not without cheap computing.

So, we had a US economy that was really doing nothing, but lots of money
looking for a US home...thus real estate, which the Risk Assessment Model
said couldn't go down more than a couple %.

Third, to get out of this, the US needs a positive black swan to change all
the rules again.  This will soak up investment capitol, with a real return
on investment, because wealth will be created.  Until it comes, we're
treading water.

Dan M.