Pat Mathews wrote:

> Of course, Russia and China didn't like each other any better
> than we liked either one of them, or they, us. Still,
> Kipling's Great Game went on along all three borders for
> quite some time.

Are you sure about that everybody-hated-America meme?

I don't think there was too many anti-USA feeling in Russia and
China during the 1950s and 1960s.

The USA might be seen as a good ally in the Soviet Union, for
its participation and support during WW2, and China certainly
saw the USA as a liberator from the japanese atrocities - even
if the USA supported the corrupt dictator after the War.

Here in Latin America, anti-USA feelings only became proeminent
when the USA sided with murderous dictatorships during the
1960s and 1970s, in such a way that we all thought that
Communism was nice and pretty.

We've had 21 years of full democracy in Brazil, and even then
presidential candidates still want to identify themselves
with the "left": in the last election (2010), the top-three
were former Commies (Dilma was arrested and tortured in the
1970s for affiliation with communist guerilla, Serra was exiled,
and Marina Silva claimed to be the extreme left).

Alberto Monteiro