Personally, I like this format over FB, and maybe over G+ too.  The
fan sites have much less a sense of community than this list has (or
had).  I use Gmail and it automatically hides quoted text so that's
not a big issue (it also has the best spam filter  by far that I've
come across).

FB is good for friends and family and I've resisted the temptation to
compile as many friends as I can, even trimming the list a bit now and
then.  I turn all the game stuff off and I don't respond to pokes and
all that as I don't really see the point.

I think G+ is superior to FB but most of my FB friends haven't
transitioned there so I'm stuck with having to follow both.  I have a
Brin-l circle on G+ but I only have something like 9 people in it.
I'd be interested to know how many of you all are on G+ and in trying
that out as a possible successor to the mailing list, but, you know, I
really miss the good old days....

Doug