From:KZK <evil.ke...@gmail.com>
To:brin-l@mccmedia.com
Sent:Tue, May 29, 2012 8:56:58 AM
Subject:Brin: Debunking the Myth of Intuition

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/interview-with-daniel-kahneman-on-the-pitfalls-of-intuition-and-memory-a-834407-druck.html

Kahneman: Yes. Psychologists distinguish between a "System 1" and a "System 2,"
which control our actions. System 1 represents what we may call intuition. It
tirelessly provides us with quick impressions, intentions and feelings. System
2, on the other hand, represents reason, self-control and intelligence.

SPIEGEL: In other words, our conscious self?

Kahneman: Yes. System 2 is the one who believes that it's making the decisions.
But in reality, most of the time, System 1 is acting on its own, without your
being aware of it. It's System 1 that decides whether you like a person, which
thoughts or associations come to mind, and what you feel about something. All
of
this happens automatically. You can't help it, and yet you often base your
decisions on it.

SPIEGEL: And this System 1 never sleeps?

Kahneman: That's right. System 1 can never be switched off. You can't stop it
from doing its thing. System 2, on the other hand, is lazy and only becomes
active when necessary. Slow, deliberate thinking is hard work. It consumes
chemical resources in the brain, and people usually don't like that.

-----
"It’s cheap to maintain Lies and expensive to maintain Trvth."
--KZK's Maxim