I  agree with you, Dan. Newer and better versions of tablets or iphones are
marginal improvements and will not provide the stimulus to the economy to
change the direction we are following.

But I also have a problem with the idea that creating new customers by which I
guess, Kevin, you mean demand, is the only solution. I believe our problem has
been that we have been fixated on creating demand only, not on the type of
demand we are creating.

 Much of our economy in the world today is built around building demand for
throw away products that merely replace previously created products. Thus the
value added by labor is wasted in terms of creating lasting wealth. As you
saturate the widget market you must create artificial demand to create turn
over and continued demand for the widgets. Thus, the birth of the advertising
industry and designed obsolescence.  Now think of all the time and effort we
spend on developing advertising content which is ephemeral. Most of it is used
once and discarded. Add that to the inevitable loss of raw materials to land
fills as people scrap the old models and we have to ask, are we building
lasting wealth or merely making work for our population? If all we are doing is
recycling wealth and at the same time we allow that wealth to be siphoned off
and sequestered by fewer and fewer people we have a problem.

Now the idea of a black swan that would make a difference would be something
that would incrementally increase wealth by adding lasting value to labor. The
computer initially did that by allowing increased productivity of knowledge
workers. Then by assembly line robots, etc. Or perhaps another example of what
we need is something like a breakthrough in access to space and all the
resources of the solar system.

I apologize for jumping in late to this conversation. but you all have been
fascinating.  I think that these are fundamental issues that have created a
flaw in our economic model and if not remedied we are facing a slow decline in
the standard of living everywhere as populations change and resources become
constrained. Great fodder for science fiction, of course.

Chris Frandsen