>> >How were the European Greens responsible for keeping
>> Uganda poor, by
>> turning them away from nuclear?

>> Two ways:
>> 1) They have extremely strict and unreasonable standards for
>> imported food.
>> For example, its virtually impossible for US food products
>> to be sold there.

Unreasonable standards? I do not know about Uganda, but I know other
markets where such apparently overly strict standards are exist.
Officially, it's claimed to prevent harm to the people by disallowing
low quality imports. In reality, these standards are meant to prevent
imports, simply to prevent money from leaving the country.

Unless, of course, the money is used to import Ferraris or Lamborginis
for the ruling class. Or weapons. The military also want their toys,
and in some countries the ruler depends on the support of the military
(like, North Korea).

Feck. I realize that I  do know too much about politics.

- Klaus