We're nearing the end of the first year of the UKU being in existence. 

The President (Ben Ravilious) has already announced that he won't be
running for the position again next year.
Just out of curiosity, when does the year actually end, and when will
the election process for next year commence?


What's changed in the last year?

OBVIOUSLY:

We now pay on an individual basis, rather than via Club subscription
fees and "tournament tax";

The website has new livery;

We're getting regular issues of the Newsletter and the glossy colour
annual Ultimatum;

The names of the major sanctioned tournaments have been changed from
"BUF ..." to "UKU ...";

The UKU have appointed a paid administrator;


LESS OBVIOUSLY:

We're due to each get something to prove we're members of UKU
- is there any news on when this will be issued, please? I know a couple
of my local sports shops might give me discounts if I can prove I'm
affiliated to a sporting organisation;

We've all got some kind of accident insurance - though the exact details
of this have escaped me.
Could someone please point me toward the www.ukultimate.com URL that
contains this info?;

We'll all get an email address
- is there any news on this?;


and stuff that doesn't appear to have changed:

Individual player subscription increases the ability to monitor the size
and growth of Ultimate in the UK more accurately than the BUF could hope
to. These statistics are useful toward the longer term aims of achieving
recognition of our sport from various official organisations in the UK
and beyond. Would anyone care to estimate the number of signed up
Ultimate players in the UK? Could someone (NJ?) please publish the
official membership figures? Could this be published regularly, or shown
on the website?;

The website content doesn't seem to have changed much. I'd have thought
that a lot of the UKU info (the mission statement, membership stats,
etc, etc) might be there somewhere.

Communication. We don't really know what our elected officials are doing
on our behalf. We don't know if any us, hoi poloi, can assist at all,
here and there. We don't know why Ben, who went to all the effort of
convincing us the UKU would be a good thing, and has now got it running,
doesn't want to keep hold of the reins whilst all of his initial plans
come to fruition.


I appreciate that the UKU is an organisation "run for the players, by
the players" and that the committee is composed of volunteers, who all
have full time occupations, but I'm currently unconvinced, mostly
because I can't SEE the effects and haven't been told about the behind-
the-scenes developments, as to how much progress we've actually made by
our move from a Federation to an Association.

I look forward to someone telling how much of a good thing it really is.

Wayne Retter

----------------------------------------------------------------
Wayne Retter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
__________________________________________________
BritDisc mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://pootle.near.me.uk/mailman/listinfo/britdisc
Staying informed - http://www.ukultimate.com/informed.asp

Reply via email to