I haven't yet found (m)any FREE (I haven't looked at ones that cost money!)
scheduling programs that can cope with an Ultimate tournament structure!

I generally use Micro$oft Excel (or any other spreadsheet) and set up:
- little formulae to populate start and end times of games
- bigger formulae to read through game results data and thereby calculate
pool finishing positions
- more formulae to read the results of this through to the second round
schedule
- and the same again for calculating playoff teams/positions, etc
This can take a fair amount of effort to set up, and require some serious
checking/testing
If I knew how, it's probable that a Macro would do all this calculation for
me

On the day, I just need a laptop and to plug in the scorelines as they
happen, and it does all the rest for me.

To actually work out the details like: structure of the tournament;
distributing seeds between pools; order of the pool games; etc. I (apart
from generally relying on Chris Hughes to have a cunning plan!) generally do
it by eye and using my years of experience (there are some rules you need to
bear in mind, like: if you're not running certain knockout stages, it may be
worth trying to incorporate those games into the pool structure e.g. if
you're not running a 1v8 quarter, put 1 and 8 in the same pool - but these
are all subject to review!).

There are a few books on the subject of tournament formats, one of which I
quoted to BritDisc as a possible reference, a couple of months back.
(Try searching the archive to find it.)

There are several Ultimate websites around (a couple on the US, and the
AFDF,...) that have a library of tournament formats that you might try...
Word of warning though: the US formats tend to have a habit of sending teams
home as soon as they lose a knockout game on Sunday.

Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: Will Parker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Sent: 20 February 2004 11:49
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [BD] Easy Scheduling


What do TDs out there use to schedule games at their tournaments? I've done 
it by hand in the past, but its boring and time consuming.

Has anyone used any software to do this (free if possible)? Does anyone have

any good resources to make life easier?

Thanks

Will
Ltd Release #4


_________________________________________________________________

Notice of Confidentiality 

This transmission contains information that may be confidential
and that may also be privileged. Unless you are the intended
recipient of the message (or authorised to receive it for the
intended recipient) you may not copy, forward, or otherwise use
it, or disclose it or its contents to anyone else. If you have
received this transmission in error please notify us immediately
and delete it from your system.

Tel: +44 1737 241144
Fax: +44 1737 241496
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Member of the General Insurance Standards Council.
_________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________
BritDisc mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://pootle.near.me.uk/mailman/listinfo/britdisc
Staying informed - http://www.ukultimate.com/informed.asp

Reply via email to