Following on from the mail that Nolan sent out to the team contacts regarding missing 
banners, I feel justified in making my feelings known to BritDisc about a couple of 
incidents that occurred over the weekend, and an unsavoury mentality which appears to 
be creeping into UK Ultimate.

Whilst I was playing a match on Sunday, a player from a team that we'd played already 
over the first two days (and not had a very friendly match with) intentionally speared 
my disc with an umbrella - this was witnessed by a member of my team who did not know 
who the disc belonged to - whilst stood on the sideline. This put a hole right through 
the middle of the disc, making it completely unusable. Needless to say I was severely 
p*ssed off and disgusted by the moronic behaviour of a "fellow" player. I don't care 
what happens on pitch, there is absolutely no excuse for damage to other peoples' 
property - being a f***ing idiot is not a good enough reason.

I should say that the player responsible was a pick-up who has since returned to the 
US. In addition, the members of the team that I spoke to were very apologetic, even 
offering financial reimbursement. I'm not worried about the cost of the disc, its the 
damage to my property that is the point.

On a similar note, during the match against the team in question, a female member of 
our team was verbally abused by an individual on the opposite team (I don't think 
being called "an f***ing b*tch" is acceptable), another example of an unpleasant and 
unnecessary characteristic infiltrating our sport.

I don't have any suggestions for avoiding issues such as those mentioned above 
(therapy?), and they are thankfully not widespread. What I would like people to 
remember is that the whole point of going to these events is to play hard and have 
fun. One of the main reasons that I am still playing Ultimate after 13 years is 
because of the level of player respect and the friendly culture associated with it. I 
would be very disappointed if such behaviours were to detract from the unique 
atmosphere that UK Ultimate possesses.

Some of my frustrations have been vented.

Mal.
BAF6.
__________________________________________________
BritDisc mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://zion.ranulf.net/mailman/listinfo/britdisc
Staying informed - http://www.ukultimate.com/informed.asp

Reply via email to