I thought I'd add something, being a Junior myself (I play for Mowers
- Birkenhead based team).
A problem with trying to introduce a new sport to people my age is the
scepticism. Most people around my age are indoctrinated with ideas
that the sports to go for are Football, Rugby, Cricket, true British
sports! They stereotypically see a frisbee and thing "Beach" or
something vague like that. It's all well and good talking about
introducing it to people at an earlier age, but it's increasingly
difficult because people just don't take it seriously. For the past
year I've been trying to convince some people in my school that they
should make their own team, because they are enthusiastic and they
aren't bad. Yet they take it too lightly, and just dismiss the
suggestion.
People see Ultimate as a mess around sport, which obviously Ultimate
players realise that it is infact a great sport with a good social
side, and doesn't have the competitive nature of Football to the
degree that it will always have 'Spirit'.
Another problem is when young people see a team, they will probably
think a few things - kit is one of them, for example. We are currently
in the process of ordering our own kit, and the effort that has gone
into it has been rather high, which some people our age couldn't take
because they need to be catered for. Football heirarchies will arrange
everything for their players, and the players will have little say
into club developments. Ultimate is different in that generally
players in a team are friends, so it is run in direct democratic
fashion, instead of representative, which some younger people cannot
handle, or be bothered with.
I want to see Ultimate develop at a youth stage as much as anyone
else, but I though I'd highlight two areas that I believe are
hindering this process, from my own experience.
Dale Walker
Mowers
#10
_________________________________________________________________
What type of MSN user are you? [1]Take our quick quiz and find out!
References
1. http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUK/2731??PS=47575
__________________________________________________
BritDisc mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://zion.ranulf.net/mailman/listinfo/britdisc
Staying informed - http://www.ukultimate.com/informed.asp