On Sunday, August 13, 2023 at 05:50:58 AM EDT, Luis Mendes
<luisvmen...@yandex.com> wrote:

>I've got this crazy idea do build a wooden boat by myself.
>As the wood for the boat is almost all curved, it would take a long time to
>cut it manually.
>So, I thought of using a CAD program to design the pieces and would like to
>ask if is there any accompanying CAM tool that could be connected to saws to
>cut the wood in a precise manner.

Here are some resources for boat building from the old Shapeoko wiki:
While not necessarily free, there is also a list at:
https://www.mpofcinci.com/blog/best-boat-design-software-tools/
* http://bearboat.net/index.html
[http://www.brighthubengineering.com/naval-architecture/73960-boat-design-using-cad-software/]*
 http://carlsondesign.com/projects/hull-designer/*
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeship/
[http://www.tc.umn.edu/~parke120/Boats/design-i-y.html]*
http://www.delftship.net/
[http://www.tc.umn.edu/~parke120/Boats/design-i-y.html] --- free version can do
various calculations and export to various formats.*
https://engineering.dartmouth.edu/openprop/
https://seagrant.mit.edu/ESRDC_library/Epps-OpenProp-2009.pdf
The big considerations are:
 - what sort of boat are you planning on building - what is the longest
dimension --- do you have a suitable space for this - what sort of tools will
you be using - will you be bending/shaping the wood after cutting - what
adhesives will you be using - will you be applying some sort of skin after the
fact
usually saws are not computer controlled (though there are nifty ones with
mechanical stops for length which are computer controlled) --- the typical
computer numerical control (CNC) tool is a CNC router --- for the basics on
this please see:
https://shapeokoenthusiasts.gitbook.io/shapeoko-cnc-a-to-z/

There is a list of machines at:
https://old.reddit.com/r/hobbycnc/wiki/index

(ob. discl., I work for Carbide 3D which makes the Shapeoko and Nomad machines)
William
-- Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.https://designinto3d.com/