I agree with you. I’m having the same problem with BRLTTY 6.5, and 6.4. I found
that the sys_admin, cap_sys_tty_config, and cap_mknod have not been granted. If
I tried the command brltty-setcaps, I error that the command is not found. Here
is my output when I look at BRLTTY –version:

BRLTTY 6.5 rev BRLTTY-6.5 [https://brltty.app/]

brltty: Log Level: none

brltty: Messages Locale: en_US.UTF-8

brltty: Messages Domain: brltty

brltty: Messages Directory: /usr/share/locale

brltty: Autospeak Threshold: none

brltty: Privilege Parameter: path=

brltty: Privilege Parameter: scfmode=

brltty: Privilege Parameter: shell=

brltty: Privilege Parameter: user=

brltty: can't isolate namespaces

brltty: executing as the invoking user: paul

brltty: can't set supplementary groups

brltty: group not joined: 0(root)

brltty: group not joined: 5(tty)

brltty: group not joined: 20(dialout)

brltty: group not joined: 29(audio)

brltty: group not joined: 102(input)

brltty: required capability not granted: cap_sys_admin (for injecting input
characters typed on a braille device)

brltty: required capability not granted: cap_sys_tty_config (for playing alert
tunes via the built-in PC speaker)

brltty: required capability not granted: cap_mknod (for creating needed but
missing special device files)

brltty: Copyright © 1995-2022 by The BRLTTY Developers

brltty: BrlAPI Server: release 0.8.4

brltty:    Copyright (C) 2002-2022 by Sébastien Hinderer
sebastien.hinde...@ens-lyon.org <mailto:sebastien.hinde...@ens-lyon.org> ,
Samuel Thibault <samuel.thiba...@ens-lyon.org

Paul