"Jason J.G. White" <ja...@jasonjgw.net> writes:

> On 18/3/24 14:49, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:
>
>  I confess that the document felt too long for me to try to study it so I
> am just passing the link,, with the hope that it wiill be of interest to
> somebody on the list.
>
> This appeared in social media recently as well. Without commenting on that
> particular proposal (or set of proposals), I can say the following.
>
> There have been many braille display cell technology proposals over the last
> several decades, few of which have ever been developed into products, and
> details of which can be found by searching a patent database. I've learned
> to treat new such proposals with scepticism, at least until there's a
> working prototype demonstrated publicly and a plausible plan to manufacture
> a device.

And rightly so.  The graveyard of failed projects is huge.
And a few years ago, I think I even happened to cross paths with an
outright scam.  Besides marketing and a "demo" unit made of wood which
only demonstrated the size of the planned device, there was never
anything substantial.  After some funding was acquired, the team
suddenly vanished with no trace.  I am deliberately not naming names,
but you know who you are if you read this.

It has become hard to decide if a "this should be cheaper and simpler"
EE-project is worthy of support.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕