Just to follow up: it's been running on my machine for well over 24hrs and I've started/stopped Orca many times in that period. It seems very stable. I'm looking forward to a new tarball release that incorporates this patch.
Many thanks! Will Willie Walker wrote: > Thanks Dave and Samuel! > > It seems to function well. I ran BrlTTY and monitored the pmap -x > output while I used Orca. The stack remained at a steady 12K and the > total size remained at a steady 5.5M. > > I've had it running for the past hour and have started/stopped Orca many > times during that period. It seems quite stable. > > Many thanks! This was a tricky one to find, and I admire Samuel's > ability to track it down and Dave's ability to flip over a patch so > quickly. > > Will > > Dave Mielke wrote: >> [quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2009/08/20 at 00:57 +0200] >> >>> So for variable-length arrays, the standard doesn't say that its >>> lifetime extends only to the end of the block, thus allowing compilers >>> to be lazy and just allocate them on the stack and not free them. The >>> only portable way to free them is thus to return from the function >>> containing the block. For brltty, that means making the content of the >>> while(1) loop a function called by runProgram, else its variable-length >>> arrays keep getting allocated and never freed. >> >> Thanks. >> >> Will: Please try the attached patch (stack-1.patch). If it works, I'll >> clean it up a bit and commit it. >> >> >> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------ >> >> _______________________________________________ >> This message was sent via the BRLTTY mailing list. >> To post a message, send an e-mail to: [email protected] >> For general information, go to: http://mielke.cc/mailman/listinfo/brltty > > _______________________________________________ This message was sent via the BRLTTY mailing list. To post a message, send an e-mail to: [email protected] For general information, go to: http://mielke.cc/mailman/listinfo/brltty
