http://www.turkishweekly.net/news/83832/-quot-china-not-conducting-a-genocide-in-urumchi-quot-.html

"China not Conducting A Genocide in Urumchi"

Wednesday, 8 July 2009

The Chinese Counsellor in Ankara, Xiao Junzheng, said Wednesday his government
was "not conducting a genocide" in regard to the incidents taking place in
Xinjiang in the Uighur Autonomous Region of China.

Speaking to AA reporters in the Chinese Embassy in Ankara, Counsellor Junzheng
said that "in the incidents of Xinjiang, 156 people died from both sides and
1,080 people were injured".

Among the dead are Uighurs, members of the Han community and Chinese policemen.
156 people from both sides died in the incidents. Other numbers in regard to
the incidents do not reflect the reality, Junzheng said.

Forensic medicine teams are working to identify the gender and nationality of
those who died. We will very shortly announce the ethnic backgrounds and
identity of the dead people in Xinjiang and bring the truth to the surface,
Junzheng said.

Touching on the recent visit made by Turkish President Abdullah Gul to the
Xinjiang region, Counsellor Junzheng said that Gul and his delegation witnessed
personally the stability and prosperity in the Xinjiang region. Both the
Chinese government and President Gul were pleased with the visit to Xinjiang,
Junzheng noted.

Assertions that more than 500 people died in the Xinjiang region do not reflect
the reality. Turkey should not believe in such baseless assertions. The Chinese
government must be trusted in regard to the numbers of the dead, Junzheng
stressed.

Referring to the incident that took place in a toy factory and which led to the
clashes in Xinjiang as an ordinary criminal act, Counsellor Junzheng said that
they were "surprised" to see how such a criminal act turned into massive
clashes.

Behind all the incidents is the World Uighur Congress and its leader Rabia
Kader. They have used this ordinary criminal act to incite ethnic groups,
Junzheng said.

The incidents taking place in Xinjiang do not have ethnic or religious
connections. The World Uighur Congress tries to portray the criminal act as an
ethnic and religious clash, Junzheng said.

The real reason behind all of the incidents is to hurt the stability in
Xinjiang Uighur Region and separate this land from China, Junzheng stressed.

The leader of the World Uighur Congress, Rabia Kader, in a statement posted on
their web site prior to the events of July 5, had noted that a big event would
take place in Urumchi on July 5 and that the developments should be watched
closely. Such a statement incited the people, Junzheng argued.

Since the beginning of the incidents, we have acted according to our laws.
China is a country where the rule of law prevails. Those detained in order to
enlighten the incidents and their trials will be conducted according to laws,
Junzheng said.

Those involved in the incidents and were "hoaxed" will not get arrested.
Rather, they will go through a special education process, Junzheng said.

-"INCIDENTS WILL NOT AFFECT TURKISH-CHINESE RELATIONS"

The incidents of Xinjiang will have no affect on Turkish-Chinese relations. We
do have confidence in the Turkish government and believe that the Turks will
trust the Chinese when realities come out, Junzheng said.

49 ethnic groups live in the Xinjiang Uighur Region. Facilitating stability in
such a multi-cultural region is a tough job. The Turkish leaders should look at
the incident from an objective perspective, Junzheng said.

The Uighurs' historical ties with Turkey make them a bridge between Turkey and
China. The stability in Xinjiang is not merely Turkey's expectation but China's
as well, Junzheng noted.

Certain news reports and pictures in the media have caused sensitivity among
the Turks. We are uneasy about certain words used in the media, such as
"massacre, genocide", Junzheng said.

stories on the incidents, Counsellor Junzheng said that "there is no problem in
communicating with the region. Those press officials who would like to visit
the region and write news stories can do so and watch the developments
personally".

We do not expect any violence against Uighurs living in other parts of China
following the incidents in Xinjiang, Junzheng said.

If isolated attacks on Uighurs do take place, we will take the necessary
precautions and solve the incidents within a legal framework, Junzheng also
said.

Wednesday, 8 July 2009

ANKARA (A.A)

Tags: Conducting Genocide Urumchi"