What Nourishes and Denourishes the Hindrances to
Progress in Life, Buddhism and Yoga?

Yoga and Buddhist teachers, scholars and commentators
will tell us that one of the most important teachings
of these mind development and spiritual disciplines is
that of the hindrances, those being the mental,
verbal, physical and behavioral tendencies and states
that obstruct progress in them.

It is also pointed out by knowledgeable teachers,
scholars and commentators that these are the same
things that can block progress in one’s life to
greater personal satisfaction, joy, and material
advancement and success.

An examination of the hindrances, whether in the
Buddhist or Yoga context or outside of it will verify
this view.

If we are doubtful people, doubt being one of these
hindrances, how can we have or find the direction to
improve ourselves and learn from and with others?

If we have tendencies to ill – will, another one of
the hindrances, can we really cultivate a healthy,
sharing and respectful relationship with others at
home, at work and among our social circle?

And if we are chronically sluggish and lazy, still
another one of the hindrances, can we really pursue in
a wise and diligent manner anything that will bring us
financial, material or joyful benefits or results?

So these teachings of both Yoga and Buddhism can have
a practical usage in our life to both learn and study.

If we are going to do such a thing, whether in the
context of our life or in the context of a broader and
more in - depth application of Yoga and Buddhist
teachings and disciplines, we will benefit when we
better know and understand what those things are that
nourish and strengthen these hindrances and what those
things are that denourish and weaken these hindrances.

Many of these habits and routines that denourish and
weaken the hindrances are already recognized as being
things that we should do and not do in order to
improve, maintain and have good mental and physical
health, those being things such as not overeating,
doing some exercise and getting some fresh air and
sunshine each day and avoiding too much time being
sedentary or watching television.

Other practices are more a part of the specific
disciplines of Yoga and Buddhism, things such a
meditation, Yoga posture practice and breathing
techniques, and wisdom as regards what we eat, who we
associate with and how we associate with them.

Below, in a summarized form, we present some of those
things that can nourish the hindrances and some of the
things that can denourish the hindrances.

Things that can nourish and strengthen the hindrances
are:
•       An obsessive or compulsive attention to beautiful or
desirable objects
•       Overeating
•       Compulsive or impulsive shopping and an acquisition
of material goods that are not needed or necessary to
one’s life and existence
•       Impatience
•       An inability to listen to or understand others
•       An inability to see the universality of life and the
life experience
•       A tendency to see oneself as being the center of the
universe or better or more important then other people
•       A pre-occupation with materialism and material and
financial gain
•       A lack of physical exercise during each day
•       A lack of physical effort and exercise after eating
•       Watching too much television
•       Comparing oneself to other people
•       Laziness
•       The habitual and regular use of drugs, alcohol,
nicotine and caffeine
•       Sitting listlessly or not being involved in a
constructive activity

Things that can denourish and weaken the hindrances
are:
•       Right Understanding and all of the steps and mental,
verbal, physical and behavioral disciplines as put
forth in The Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism
•       Non - violence in thought, word and action to others
and oneself
•       Austerity and simplicity in life and living
•       Non – greed
•       Honesty
•       Non – stealing
•       Self - study
•       Mindfulness
•       Concentration practice and activities that focus the
mind
•       Meditation
•       Meditating on impure objects
•       Meditating on the impurity of one’s own and
another’s body
•       The practice of Yoga postures and breathing
techniques
•       Guarding of the sense doors
•       Moderation in eating
•       Diligent study of the teachings and scriptures of
Yoga and Buddhism
•       Healthy friendships
•       Healthy, suitable and respectful conversations
•       Contentment with and appreciation for what one has
and can experience each day
•       Understanding that one may be and should be held
accountable for their actions
•       Devoting oneself to meditation on and the practice
of loving kindness
•       Joy and faith
•       Energy and effort applied to purposeful activities
and work
•       Taking walks and doing exercise in the open air
•       Participating in individual and group sports
•       Planning one’s day
•       Purposeful work
•       An understanding of one’s intentions and motivations
regarding their words and actions

To learn, understand and successfully implement some
of these habits and routines may require that we have
a teacher or attend classes with like - minded people
who are on a like – minded endeavor, while others may
be brought about just through our individual
mindfulness, understanding, effort, strength and
discipline.

Sometimes our present environment and the people that
make it up do not have the mindfulness or energy to
embark on such a thing or may even act as an obstacle
to learning, understanding and applying these new and
healthy habits and disciplines through their
negativity or critical attitudes to them and anyone
who embarks on making such a change in their life.

If we are around such people by choice or not, we need
to understand what our objectives are in trying to
learn new ways and make changes in our life, that
being the be healthier, happier and wiser and stick
with pursuing those objectives.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough

(Please refer to the attachment for more information
on the hindrances)

Yours in Yoga,

John

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://www.buddhibase.org

To subscribe, send an blank email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

BuddhiBase Team (Muthu Veerappan, Mohamed Nisar & Vivekhanandam)
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: