Title: Share knowledge at  Buddhi Base

Messages In This Digest (5 Messages)

1a.
Welcome Kumar Maran, Ramesh, Aarti Lalit, Palaniappan From: muthu veerappan pr
1b.
Re: Welcome Kumar Maran, Ramesh, Aarti Lalit, Palaniappan From: ramesh sengamalai
2.
How Do We Feed The Hindrances? From: John Kimbrough
3.
New file uploaded to BuddhiBase From: BuddhiBase@yahoogroups.com
4.
Coffee Vs Cup From: muthu veerappan pr

Messages

1a.

Welcome Kumar Maran, Ramesh, Aarti Lalit, Palaniappan

Posted by: "muthu veerappan pr" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   muthu_manaparai

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:26 am (PST)

Hi All,

BuddhiBase team welcomes its new members Kumar Maran, Ramesh, Aarti
Lalit, Palaniappan on your behalf.

Cheers,
BuddhiBase Team

1b.

Re: Welcome Kumar Maran, Ramesh, Aarti Lalit, Palaniappan

Posted by: "ramesh sengamalai" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   srameshvdm

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:05 pm (PST)

Hai Friends,

How are you? I am Ramesh.. I have completed my MCA on April 2006 & working as Software Developer in TranZ NetworkZ, Bangalore......

Thanks 4 greeting me......

Thanks & Regards,
Ramesh.S

On 11/27/06, muthu veerappan pr <muthu_manaparai@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> BuddhiBase team welcomes its new members Kumar Maran, Ramesh, Aarti
> Lalit, Palaniappan on your behalf.
>
> Cheers,
> BuddhiBase Team

2.

How Do We Feed The Hindrances?

Posted by: "John Kimbrough" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:04 pm (PST)

How Do We Feed The Hindrances?

In the teachings of Buddhism, according to the
Therevadan tradition, we are taught to be
knowledgeable about and mindful of those states of
mind and consciousness known as the hindrances as they
arise and interfere with our success and progress in
both life and Buddhism.

The objective of the Buddhist mental, verbal, physical
and behavioral disciplines such as loving kindness,
compassion, right understanding and right effort,
among others, is to weaken and destroy these
hindrances and the mental defilements that they are
rooted in.

We also benefit in our practice of Buddhism when we
understand that there are things in and about our
life, environment and habits that may not be
specifically addressed in the Buddhist teachings and
disciplines that are feeding the hindrances, meaning
that they are making them grow in strength.

This is understandable with the emphasis on
technology, consumerism and having “nice” things that
seems to be so important to so many people in these
modern times.

Can the refrigerator makes us feed the hindrances
because it provides us with fresh and delicious food
at any hour of the day or night which is also making
us have stronger sensual desires, or more likely to
experience ill – will if we do not get what we want
when we want it?

Does such a convenience make us more likely to be
restless or become mentally or physically lazy?

How about the excessive watching of television?

Can that stimulate us sexually or to restlessness,
anger, and ill – will, and make us mentally and
physically sluggish and lazy?

If we accept that television can do such a thing, can
computer games and videos also do such a thing?

How about a comfortable bed? Does it keep us from
getting up and getting going each day?

A night out or at home drinking? Does it make the
subsequent day one where we are lazy and irritable?

In mentioning these things, one does not wish to make
any kind of moralizing judgment on the actions of
people or the state of the world these days. But one
does wish to remind those who wish to purify their
mind according to the teachings and disciplines of
Buddhism that we need the mindful about those subtle
and overt forces both within and outside of us that
work to feed the hindrances instead of weaken and
destroy them.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough
Bangkok, Thailand
November 28th, 2006

Yours in Yoga,

John

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited

3.

New file uploaded to BuddhiBase

Posted by: "BuddhiBase@yahoogroups.com" BuddhiBase@yahoogroups.com

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:29 pm (PST)

Hello,

a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the BuddhiBase
group.

File : /peacock___penguins.ppt
Uploaded by : muthu_manaparai <muthu_manaparai@yahoo.com>
Description : New to Work, Then you should see this

You can access this file at the URL:

Regards,

muthu_manaparai <muthu_manaparai@yahoo.com>

4.

Coffee Vs Cup

Posted by: "muthu veerappan pr" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   muthu_manaparai

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:02 pm (PST)

A group of alumni, highly established in their careers, got together
to visit their old university Professor. Conversation soon turned into
complaints about stress in work and life.

Offering his guests coffee, the Professor went to the kitchen and
returned with a large pot of coffee and an assortment of cups:
porcelain, plastic, glass, some plain-looking and some expensive and
exquisite, telling them to help themselves to hot coffee.

When all the former students had a cup of coffee in hand, the lecturer
said: "If you noticed, all the nice-looking, expensive cups were taken
up, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is but normal
for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of
your problems and stress.

What all of you really wanted was coffee, NOT the cup, but you
consciously went for the better cups and are eyeing each other's cups.

Now, if Life is coffee, then the jobs, money and position in society
are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain Life, but the
quality of Life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on
the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."

So friends, don't let the cups drive you...enjoy the coffee instead.

Thanks to Vivekhanandam, Dharamalingam

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Mail

Get on board

You're invited to try

the all-new Mail Beta.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

Quick file sharing

Send up to 1GB of

files in an IM.

Need to Reply?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BuddhiBase
http://www.buddhibase.org

To subscribe, send an blank email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

BuddhiBase Team (Muthu Veerappan, Mohamed Nisar & Vivekhanandam)