Paul Eggert <[email protected]> writes:

> On 2026-09-16 04:48, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>> I'll think so more about it.
>
> More food for thought: I ran into this problem in a different way just
> now, when running on Fedora 44. I ran emacs, then typed 'M-x man RET
> cat RET'. My screen ended up containing text that looks like the
> following, which was offputting (and was particularly embarrassing as
> I was demoing Emacs for a student...).
>
> Could we simply disable this stuff for now, when outputting to a
> non-tty? If we come up with something better later that's fine, but in
> the meantime the downsides of these escape sequences seem to outweigh
> the upsides, at least for me.
>
> ...
> DESCRIPTION
>        Concatenate FILE(s) to standard output.
>
>        With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.
>
>  
> ^[]8;;https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/coreutils.html#cat-A^[\-A,
>  --show-all^[]8;;^[\
>               equivalent to -vET
>
>  
> ^[]8;;https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/coreutils.html#cat-b^[\-b,
>  --number-nonblank^[]8;;^[\
>               number nonempty output lines, overrides -n
> ...

I am on Fedora 44 as well, and I the options display as expected and are
clickable both in Gnome Terminal and a seperate graphical Emacs window.

I wonder if one us has some configuration that we forgot about being
passed to 'man'? My ~/.config/emacs/init.el doesn't show anything
interesting configurations for it at least.

Collin



Reply via email to