Hello Travis,

Travis Sherwood wrote:
I was trying to make a backup on my External WD Elements 1.5TB drive
(SDB1, name is Elements, NTFS partition) onto a brand new Toshiba 2tb
drive (SDC1, name is Toshiba EXT, NTFS partition).

In DDrescue-GUI, I set it up to image the source Elements drive over to
the target Toshiba one, with a log map file and a log file. After waiting
2 hours and only getting to 1% with 10+ days remaining, I had to abort
the backup at approx 29gb. That's when things got weird.

The WD drive was relabeled the same as the Toshiba one and the
previously-working NTFS partition will not mount any longer.

From what I can see in shitball.log and shitball2.log, it seems that you inverted the drives, copying from the Toshiba to the WD:

# Command line: ddrescue -v -d -f -r 2 -c 128 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /home/travis/Desktop/shitball.log

/dev/sdb1 on /media/travis/TOSHIBA EXT
/dev/sdc1 on /media/travis/Elements

The data on this drive is irreplaceable and this is why I was trying to
make a backup of it.

For irreplaceable data in a good drive it is much safer to make backups using 'cp -an'.

How do I fix this?

Given that you only copied 1% of the partition, you may use a file recovery tool to try to recover the files in the remaining 99%.


Reply via email to