Hi,
CC: team-go
For more context, see:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/32919
On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 at 10:53, Leo Famulari <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 04:49:20PM -0500, Katherine Cox-Buday wrote:
>> We should perhaps begin thinking about switching the Go build system to
>> the 1.11 series of releases.
>
> I agree. When Go 1.11 was released, Go 1.9 became unsupported upstream,
> so we should stop using it.
>
> The go-build-system as implemented in Guix worked great through Go 1.9.
>
> Go 1.10 changed how the Go compiler chooses whether or not to re-use
> compiled Go objects, using a technique they call "content-based
> staleness", which is basically a memoized cache, similar to Guix. [0]
>
> For us, the downside of that change is that, when building within Guix
> using the tools we have now, the Go compiler never re-uses compiled
> objects and instead rebuilds everything, every time. That is, the Go
> build cache is never hit. It's inefficient but nothing breaks from what
> I've seen.
>
> It would be great if our go-build-system could be updated to work with
> the new Go build cache, but in my opinion it's not a blocker. I think we
> will have to change it eventually, because they seem to be phasing out
> $GOPATH, but we are good for now.
I’m in favor to close, Team Go, WDYT?
Cheers,
simon