[email protected], le jeu. 01 oct. 2026 11:50:53 +0000, a ecrit:
> October 1, 2026 at 7:42 AM, "Samuel Thibault" <[email protected] 
> mailto:[email protected]?to=%22Samuel%20Thibault%22%20%3Csamuel.thibault%40gnu.org%3E
>  > wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> > 
> > [email protected], mailto:[email protected],  le jeu. 01 oct. 2026 
> > 11:38:39 +0000, a ecrit:
> > 
> > > 
> > > October 1, 2026 at 2:25 AM, "Samuel Thibault" <[email protected] 
> > > mailto:[email protected]?to=%22Samuel%20Thibault%22%20%3Csamuel.thibault%40gnu.org%3E
> > >  > wrote:
> > >  
> > >  
> > >  
> > >  
> > >  Mikhail Karpov, le jeu. 01 oct. 2026 06:47:57 +0700, a ecrit:
> > >  
> > >  > 
> > >  > On Thu, 1 Oct 2026 00:59:46 Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > >  > 
> > >  > > > I haven't looked at the details, but the description looks similar 
> > > to
> > >  > > > the existing unionfs?
> > >  > >
> > >  > > To some extent, yes.  You can find details about overlayfs in 
> > > GNU/Linux
> > >  > > here: https://docs.kernel.org/filesystems/overlayfs.html.  This
> > >  > translator
> > >  > > works in a similar way.
> > >  > 
> > >  > Ok, but what do we do then? We don't really want to maintain two very
> > >  > similar translators.
> > >  > 
> > >  > Since overlayfs has replaced unionfs in GNU/Linux, it seems more 
> > > appropriate
> > >  > to adopt the same approach in GNU/Hurd.  Furthermore, Docker relies on
> > >  > overlayfs, so it would be highly beneficial if we could port it in the
> > >  > future.
> > >  > 
> > >  Ok, but then hurd's unionfs has more features than linux' unionfs,
> > >  notably the stowing feature.
> > >  
> > >  Samuel
> > >  
> > >  I'm way out of the loop here, but does unionfs work on the Hurd?
> > >  
> > >  If I recall correctly, there does not exist a /hurd/unionfs on debian 
> > > Hurd...
> > >  
> > >  Or said another way, I've wanted to try unionfs on the Hurd, and I 
> > > unionfs never
> > >  seems to be installed by default...
> > > 
> > I thought it was in the hurd-recommended package, but apparently not.
> > 
> > It is available in 
> > 
> > git clone git.savannah.gnu.org:/srv/git/hurd/unionfs.git/
> 
> If unionfs is mostly stable, then I personally vote that we include it in
> the default install.  Thanks for recommending the "hurd-recommended" package.

After fixing a few simple compilation issue, it seems to be basically
working, yes. I have added it to the hurd-recommended package
0.0.20261002-1

samuel

Reply via email to