October 1, 2026 at 5:14 PM, "Mikhail Karpov" <[email protected] 
mailto:[email protected]?to=%22Mikhail%20Karpov%22%20%3Ckarpov.mixail24%40gmail.com%3E
 > wrote:



> 
> Hello,
> 
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2026 13:42:58 Joshua Branson wrote:
> 
>  > +Mikhail Karpov did more work on [moving storeio from trivfs to
>  > +netfs](https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2026-08/msg00158.html).
>  > +Hopefully the Hurd can dynamically display filesystem partitions
>  > +instead of hardcoding them soon.
> 
> I’m not quite sure what you mean.  If you want to see the partitions of a
> disk, run the following command:
> # settrans -c disk /hurd/storeio -T typed file:/root/disk.iso
> # ls disk
> 1 2 3
> Where 1, 2, and 3 are the partitions of the disk.iso disk.
> 
> You can also view the size of the entire disk as well as the size of each
> individual partition:
> # stat disk
> File: disk
> Size: 262144000      Blocks: 8     IO Blocks: 512       directory
> ...
> # stat disk/1
> File: disk/1
> Size: 9437184        Blocks: 1     IO Blocks: 512       block special file
> ...
> 
> You can mount a partition in two ways:
> # settrans -c ext1 /hurd/ext2fs -T typed part:1:file:/root/disk
> # settrans -c ext2 /hurd/ext2fs -T typed file:/root/disk/2
> 
> As I understand it, we can remove the following item from the
> https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/contributing.html
> 
>  > Write a partfs translator, to which one gives a disk image, and which
>  > exposes the partitions of the disk image, using parted, and the
>  > parted-based storeio (settrans -c foos1 /hurd/storeio -T typed
>  > part:1:file:/home/samy/tmp/foo).  This would be libnetfs-based.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> -- Mikhail Karpov


I guess what I mean is that after the Hurd boots, "currently the Hurd sets
device entries in /dev/ statically.   For example, I am writing this qoth on
a Hurd machine that is using two /dev/ entries for my filesystem: /dev/wd0s1
for swap and /dev/wd0s5 for my root filesystem. However, /dev/wd0s1 through
/dev/wd0s16 exist on my computer! Once Mikhail's project is done, then the
Hurd will dynamically populate SATA devices at boot time! No more need for
static translators!"

https://hurd.ion.nu/news/2026-q2.html

I do not know if say Debian Hurd dynamically lists the partitions at boot time
by default.  Or to say it another way, I don't know if any Hurd distribution
using partfs by default at boot time.

Thanks,

Joshua

Reply via email to