Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I am cross-compiling libraries for Mac OS X on linux. Everything works
> fine except one thing: the libtool script generated in the build directory
> is trying to execute nmedit, which fails. It works fine after I replace all
> instances of 'nmedit' with 'powerpc-apple-darwin8-nmedit'.
> So, is there a way to tell libtool to use nmedit for target system instead
> of the native one? I tried setting NMEDIT environment variable, it didn't
> help. I configure with
> --target=powerpc-apple-darwin8 --host=powerpc-apple-darwin8
> so the target name is indeed the prefix of the tool name and so it's not
> a name problem.
> The libraries are "normal" autoconf+automake+libtool projects (for example
> cairo and gtk), I am using libtool-1.5.22, automake-1.10, and
> autoconf-2.61.

It's a bug. In fact I got another one privately that nmedit sometimes
fails on 10.5, suggesting to use the ld -exported_symbols flag instead.
I guess apple have allowed nmedit to bitrot a little.

I will fix both next week.

In the meantime, as a workaround, put a symlink from nmedit to your
odcctools powerpc-apple-darwin8-nmedit and ensure that the path to that
nmedit is before any other possible nmedits on your system.


Bug-libtool mailing list

Reply via email to