On Thu, Oct 08, 2026 at 04:07:30PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote: > Hi Gavin (and all) - we received a bug report on Automake that we had > distributed a buggy version of texinfo.tex. This happened because for > gnulib I have been grabbing texinfo.tex from the source repo instead of > ftp.gnu.org. > > It's no problem to take it from ftp.gnu.org instead, which I suppose is > more logical. I'm writing now because the ftp.gnu.org texinfo.tex is > dated from June 1, and there are quite a variety of changes since then.
I remember this exact issue has happened before with Gnulib, and I remembered that it was going to stop using the file from ftp.gnu.org, although evidently this did not happen. We had a report that a package failed to build with the version in git. I have attempted a fix, but had no reply so far if it worked or not. It seems better to wait for confirmation that this fix worked before uploading the newer version to ftp.gnu.org. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2026-10/msg00042.html > > If texinfo.tex in dev is stable now, maybe it would be a good time to > update ftp.gnu.org, so I don't "regress" the texinfo.tex in > gnulib+automake? Advancing it to the latest commit would be an improvement from version you currently have, at least, as that likely fixes the issue with the package that failed to build (Blitz++). > > Of course if you prefer to let the June 1 version on ftp.gnu.org stand, > that's fine too. Please advise. --thanks, karl. >
