I ran into this annoying problem while trying to get mac services running
on an NT Server v4.0 (SP5). The mac client was one of those ugly as sin G3
machines, with Mac OS 8.6.

Everytime I tried to copy a large amount of files from the mac to the mac
volume on the NT4 machine, the damn thing would reboot! The event log
showed this message immediately after boot:

-The Compaq System Management Driver has detected that the system
encountered
-an NT bugcheck during the previous Windows NT session.   The bugcheck data
-was: STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xFCCEA989)
- Event ID: 4188

and 20 of these messages right before it crashed:

-Internal server information for file "\mac volume\Virex Download\Virex
5.9\????? ?  (the files I was trying to copy)
-?:AFP_AfpInfo" was corrupted. Setting default information.
- Event ID : 12042

What I had to do was disable the 'scan files when opened' and 'scan files
at download' options in the virex control panel to keep it from doing this.
This sounds a lot like the activity described in mcaffe knowledbase article
2.0.452772.1836792 :

http://knowledge.nai.com/vrx-r/publisher.dll?sid=0.0x02898C90&page=3&id=vrxr
:2.0.452772.1836792

but according to that article it should no longer be doing that with this
version of Mac OS. Apparantly there is still a problem.

damn macs

Pavel