 > First of all, something less or more personal - sorry to all secure@...pl
 > people for this post. I'm really angry, as this stuff become well-known
 > without my knowledge... so, only a few of my own observations, always
 > trying to respect other's intellectual property.

 > All the best goes to el- :P

 > glibc 2.1.x and Linux without devpts mechanism
Please report glibc problems to the glibc developers first!

/usr/libexec/pt_chown --help outputs:
[...]
Report bugs using the `glibcbug' script to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

I didn't see any report on this on any glibc list! :-(

I'm forwarding this now.

 > ------------------------------
 > glibc 2.0.x and LC_ALL, noexec
 > ------------------------------

 > Compromise: locally, doing thins you shouldn't be able to do ;)

 > First of all - doing /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /program/on/noexec/partition is
 > the simpliest way to bypass noexec option, if only you have glibc 2.0.x.
 > Nothing to say, security by obscurity stinks.

 > Clean glibc 2.0.x, as distributed in .tar.gz, are vunerable to rather
 > seriuos problem with LC_ALL containing '../' tricks (just like in telnetd
 > and TERM case). In fact, in some Linux distributions, it has been silently
 > fixed, while people upgrading glibc to eg. 2.0.7 'from scratch' are not
 > aware of this problem, and many sites are vunerable. Using prepared
 > directory with locale specifications, including glibc error messages used
 > eg. by perror(), luser will be able to for example read setuid programs
 > memory, etc.
AFAIK those problems are fixed in glibc 2.1.x - if not please tell us.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   [EMAIL PROTECTED]    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  for pgp-key finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]