I just finished running CyberCop and nmap against a smaller range
(192.168.0.0) on a cat 5500 w/RSM and didn't notice any memory issues on the
RSM. Perhaps it is just the traffic generated by scanning the entire /8 at
once. The Cisco engineer is correct about the small packet issue, though, as
Cisco doesn't dynamically free memory. If you manage to allocate all of the
memory in small (64-128k) chunks, as I have seen before when there is a lot
of route flapping and the rtr is constantly allocating small chunks to
update the route table, the box has no mechanism to take all of the freed
memory space once it's done with it and turn it into a larger contiguous
(sp?) block. This can crash the box. The whole thing 40+Mbps thing should be
discounted, though, as the RSM should be able to handle much more traffic
than that.

Also, do you know what version of IOS the RSM is running?