Markus Friedl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[Logging user names harmful or not?]

> While I understand you concern, I am not sure whether this
> applies to SSH clients, since they are usually very
> different from telnet clients. You enter the usename when you
> start the client, so it's hard to get out of sync, e.g. I
> have never seen a user enter
>       $ ssh -l mypasswd host

Yes, this is certainly correct for the traditional command line
clients.

> This even applies to Windows SSH vs. telnet clients.

IIRC, Teraterm has a combined dialog box for entering password and
user name, and I think you can confuse one with the other.

--
Florian Weimer                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/