On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 03:13 AM, Andrew van der Stock wrote:

> Apple's statement is: "Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server do not contain this
> vulnerability." Does MacOS X and MacOS X Server even have a
> copy of zlib
> (ie libz.so) by default? Or is down to the FreeBSD malloc / free
> behavior of MacOS X? Hard to say - not a lot of information to go on.

I'm pretty sure it's the FreeBSD behavior that protects it because:

        Mac OS X includes libz:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Libraries/libzip.
jnilib
/usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib
/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib
/usr/lib/libz.dylib

        The following program does not crash, and indeed produces
the warning messages that FreeBSD describes it should:

#include <stdlib.h>

int main() {
     void *ptr;
     int x;
     for (x = 0; x < 10000; ++x) {
         ptr = malloc(123456);
         free(ptr);
         free(ptr);
     }
     return 0;
}

It produces these warnings:

*** malloc[27202]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced:
0x84000; This could be a double free(), or free() called with
the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment
variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
(many, many times)