On 2018-02-22 20:41, Erik Joelsson wrote:
On 2018-02-21 21:06, David Holmes wrote:
I investigated this some more. I was able to do it successfully, but
the build time cost is way too large here. The culprit is c++filt on
Solaris which is incredibly costly, and the gnu version does not
demangle Solaris Studio symbols. I don't think we should do this on
On 22/02/2018 4:07 AM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
On 2018-02-20 21:33, David Holmes wrote:
I have not done extensive testing, but on my Linux workstation with
32 hw threads, building just hotspot release build from a clean
workspace increased maybe 1 or 2 seconds (at around 90s total), but
the variance was around the same amount as that.
a) how much time it adds to the build?
I didn't put a lot of effort into trying to figure it out. The check
used was provided by Kim Barrett, for Linux only. I figured it would
be simple enough to get it to work on mac and succeeded there. It
should certainly be possible to implement a similar check on
Solaris, but is it worth the time to do it? Both development time
and increased build time on one of the slower build platforms?
b) why this doesn't work for Solaris Studio?
Depends how concerned we are with detecting this problem in OS
specific source code?
I agree, it's not worth it.
Not all programmer's mistakes are reasonable to catch in technical
traps. It we *should* spend time on getting automatic tool for keeping
code quality up (and, yes, I really do think we should), there's most
likely to be much better areas to spend that effort in, in making a lot
of prone-to-break scripts for catching a single kind of problem.
We could grep for the mangled strings for the operators instead, which
is super fast. Problem is just figuring out all the possible
To be honest I'm not sure this pulls its own weight regardless.
On 21/02/2018 4:05 AM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
This patch adds a build time check for uses of global operators
new and delete in hotspot C++ code. The check is only run with
toolchains GCC and Clang (Linux and Macos builds). I have also
modified the Oracle devkit on Linux to add the necessary symlink
so that objdump will get picked up by configure.
This change is depending on several fixes removing such uses that
are currently in jdk/hs so this change will need to be pushed
there as well.