On 2018-03-02 12:10, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
On 2018-03-02 03:01, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Magnus,

On 1/03/2018 10:48 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
We're doing a lot of weird compilation stuff for dtrace. With this patch, most of the weirdness is removed. The remaining calls to $(CC) -E has been changed to $(CPP) to clarify that we do not compile, we just use the precompiler.

One of the changes I made was to actually split up the last and final dtrace call into a separate preprocessing step. However, this uses the solaris studio preprocessor instead of the ancient system preprocessor, which has changed behavior. A string like (&``_var) is now expanded to (& ` ` _var), which is not accepted by dtrace. :-( I have worked around this by adding the preprocessed output, without the spaces, in two places. If anyone wants to dig deeper into dtrace script file syntax, or C preprocessor magic, to avoid this, let me know... (I'll just state that the "obvious" solution of sending -Xs to the preprocessor to get old-style behavior does not work: this just makes the solaris studio preprocessor call the ancient preprocessor in turn, and we've gained nothing...)

Bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8198862
WebRev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8198862-stop-doing-funky-dtrace-compilation-stuff/webrev.01

Why did you rename generateJvmOffsetsMain.c to generateJvmOffsetsMain.cpp? It isn't a C++ program, it's just a C program.
Yes, but so are generateJvmOffsets.cpp. :-& There was no point in mixing a .cpp and .c file for this trivial build tool helper. In fact, I don't even understand why they are two separate files -- if I get the blessings from someone in hotspot, I'll gladly just concatenate them into a single file.
Come to think about it, I don't care about the hotspot group's blessing. ;-) I just moved the main function into the generateJvmOffsets.cpp file. It was just silly having it as a separate file.

!     # Since we cannot generated JvmOffsets.cpp as part of the gensrc step,

Comment doesn't read right.
Typo, should be "generate". I'll fix.


I also restored the extra ( ) in ExecuteWithLog with redirection, and added an additional ( ) for one case that was previously missing one.

Finally I also added the changes to dtrace that Erik requested for JDK-8198859, but which was already pushed by that time.

New webrev:


Reply via email to