On 2018-03-14 22:17, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
On 2018-03-14 22:05, Phil Race wrote:
>I see we used to link with libawt_headless for solaris, but removed
it in >JDK-8194870. Phil remarked in that bug: "We linked against
headless before then >but allowed undefined symbols JDK 9 switched
this to libawt_headless when >headless apps failed." but I'm not sure
I understand what this really means.
It means that there is a long and sordid history.
When we introduced this code it was as it is now.
Some time in JDK 8 (?) it started to link against one of these libs.
I'd have to go back and check which one, but definitely in JDK 9 a bug
popped up with headless because of explicit linking to xawt .. which
pulls in X11. At that time the fix was to switch it to link against
but that was the wrong fix now as it is then. Somehow it worked OK
as had the xawt linking so long as you had X11 .. until JDK-8194870 and
we realised the error. Now we are back to how it was intended in JDK
1.5 (I think).
Thank you for the explanation!
I will think about this fix for a while, and see what I can do about
it. For now, consider the review request cancelled.
I still need to think about how to handle the solaris case, but at least
I can salvage the macosx cleanup from this patch.
I have verified functionality using "java -jar SwingSet2.jar" on a
> Question to Phil: Would it be possible to rewrite the code to load
and reference the symbols dynamically
Whilst it probably is possible, I really don't want to do that it is not
really in the spirit of what is intended here as well as being a fair
amount of work.
This is not an "optional" library. It has to be there. We just don't
know which one
What I'd really like here is a build linker option that at build time
that the dependencies are actually satisfied by each of xawt and
headless in turn
but in neither case writes that library into the produced image as a
For the macos changes, I am supposing you mean you had to add this
+ LIBS_macosx := -lawt_lwawt -framework CoreText -framework
because you removed this
- LDFLAGS_macosx := -undefined dynamic_lookup, \
If it builds *and runs* its probably fine :-)
Only Solaris + Linux have separate libraries for headful + headless.
On 03/14/2018 01:22 PM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
On 2018-03-14 15:59, Erik Joelsson wrote:
This change is unfortunately not correct for Linux and Solaris. We
cannot link libfontmanager explicitly against either libawt_xawt or
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8196516 for my suggestion
on a better fix than we currently have. I was hoping for Severin to
check it out and pick it up, but he is away for a bit so that
The reason we cannot link explicitly is that we need to decide at
runtime whether to pull in the headful or headless libraries. If
one or the other is already pulled in, and we explicitly load the
other, the runtime linker will lookup the common symbols in one or
the other in an unpredictable way. Some users get the correct
behavior, some get the wrong behavior. We recently had discussions
around this on this list if you want to dive deeper into it.
Also see https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8194870 for one
of the consequences of explicit linking here.
I think the mac part is ok though, but Phil has to have a look. For
Linux and Solaris, if you could remove the -lawt_headless and add
"-Xlinker --unresolved-symbols=ignore-all" to LDFLAGS for linux I
think we should be good.
Oh, this seems like a fine mess. :-(
I see we used to link with libawt_headless for solaris, but removed
it in JDK-8194870. Phil remarked in that bug: "We linked against
headless before then but allowed undefined symbols JDK 9 switched
this to libawt_headless when headless apps failed." but I'm not sure
I understand what this really means.
I agree it seems likely that the macosx changes is correct. I could
probably add -Wl,--unresolved-symbols=ignore-all for gcc on linux,
but that is unlikely to work on solstudio. :-( So I'm afraid we're
still stuck with the need to remove -z defs for some builds. :-(
Question to Phil: Would it be possible to rewrite the code to load
and reference the symbols dynamically, using libdl? The problem here
is that the functions are declared extern, instead of loaded into a
function pointer at runtime. That's how you typically use this kind
of runtime-determined dynamic loading.
On 2018-03-14 04:45, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
This is the final LDFLAGS cleanup, which required some more work
Libfontmanager had previously explicitely disabled -z defs, with
the result that linking did not complain about missing libraries.
To fix this, I had to provide the proper libraries to link with.
For linux and solaris, this was libawt_headless. For macosx, this
was libawt_lwawt, but also three system frameworks.
Note that this patch has a merge conflict with JDK-8199606. The
end result of both patches are shown in the patch (that is, with
-lc removed). I will make sure to resolve the conflicts properly
when committing this patch.
I have run COMPARE_BUILDS, with expected results. That is, no
changes for Windows, and a deps change for macosx, linux and
solaris. I also got a symbol change for linux, since the symbols
from libawt_headless changed from e.g. "AWTCharAdvance" to
"AWTCharAdvance@@SUNWprivate_1.1". And of course, when you do
linking changes, you also end up getting binary/disasm changes.