On Wednesday 10 October 2007 11:04, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 October 2007 23:22, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 08:13:56PM +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >In current svn:
> > >
> > >CONFIG_BUILD_LIBBUSYBOX works again,
> >
> > Very nice. Thanks for your effort.
> >
> > What do you think about also providing an option to use the normal
> > busybox as a whole as .so (i.e. a PIE)?
>
> It should be easy. I only need to look how e.g. glibc makes it so that
> /lib/libc.so.6 is runnable by itself.

Bernhard, can you elaborate? Do you want to use libbusybox
as a "real" library "? I.e. link other programs against it
beside busybox apllets?

I added stuff to svn which makes libbusybox export _only_ XXX_main
functions. This minimizes size, but will preclude you from calling
any other function.

I looked into making libbusybox.so executanle itself, but
it looks like that needs a lot of linker magic for questionable
gain - I can have tiny (less than 3k) "busybox" executable
linked against it providing the same functionality.

Any specific reasons why do you like to have
PIE busybox-which-is-also-libbusybox?
--
vda